Thursday, February 14, 2008

Spilling your guts & Storytelling.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend class this week. Apparently I missed out on some interesting topics. I did however do the spill your guts assignment and look over the story telling video and articles. These served as my lessons for the week. The two people I got to "spill their guts" were my hairdresser and a beauty product rep. at Target. A few things that surprised me were that I have had several encounters with these people, but I would never really say I know who they are, at least not until now. After a while of conversing I was able to get them to talk about themselves more personally. Which was weird, because when I travel I strike up conversations with people very often and right away get at those basic questions of who you are. But these two people that I have had frequent conversations with it was a bit harder to segway into a conversation we should've probably had when we first met. This assignment also made me realize that in our day to day (at least in mine) its getting so much harder to interact with people, especially have a conversation. At the bank we can use drive throughs, at the supermarket we can do self-checkout, on the public transportation people are either on their cell phones or are listening to music through earphones. No wonder conversations between people (in whatever context) have to offer more, like a story. Stories have a way of capturing peoples attention and creating this common ground between people. I really found the weblinks and video on storytelling useful and interesting.

No comments: