Thursday, March 20, 2008

Guest lecturer.

I found the guest lecturer,Dr.Linda Lloyd, to be informative, insightful, and reflective. I appreciated how forthcoming she was about her own mistakes in health communication. The whole presentation really brought our discussion of formative research to full circle, especially with poster examples. Sitting there I just kept thinking how could these mistakes have been made, it seems so obvious to test the behavior, test the messages, and understand the problem. I guess its been ingrained in me enough that FR is a crucial part of health promotion. I am really grateful for Dr.Lloyd's presentation. Its always freshing hearing about someone's experience in the real world of public health along with the lessons they have learned.
On another note, I also found our discussion on needs versus wants to be insightful. The needle exchange example made me realize how tricky it can be phrasing and posing questions to people, especially when dealing with a sensitive topic. The key is to find a way to understand people's responses beyond the "yes", "no" answer, and hopefully find a happy medium between the two. This is a lesson and example I will definitely position high on my "top of mind ladder".

No comments: