Thursday, January 31, 2008

The gap btw...

The best part about class this week was putting into practice the theories discussed. I had a true moment of realization when working on our campaign for teenagers and nutrition. When we were trying to figure out the details of our campaign we kept asking ourselves "what do teenagers like?" I mean it wasn't THAT long ago since I was a teenager; but there I was assuming this is what teenagers like, don't like, do or don't do. The distance between me and my target population was evident. Its the kind of gap captured in our discussion of sender driven messages (us centered) as opposed to receiver driven-where we put "them" at the center. I am intrigued at the possibility of empowering people through receiver driven messages and of doing research that puts them first and not the goals and expectations of health professionals and research sponsors.

No comments: